These stories are creative works that were written through inspiration. All of them are fictions but are true representation of what is happening in today’s typical African society. You are permitted to publish these stories however you like but acknowledge the blog. Enjoy the stories…

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

‘ Love, not nationality will determine my choice of husband’

Born to a Nigerian father and an Austria mother, twenty-nine-year-old Titilola Oke, a doctoral student of the Oxford University, United Kingdom, is on a study visit to
 Nigeria. In a chat with TOLUWANI OLAMITOKE and BLESSING EKUM, she speaks on life in Nigeria and Austria, the difference between Nigerian and Austrian men, life on campus, among other issues. Excerpts: Where were you born and raised? I was born and brought up in Innsbruck in Austria. Is this your first visit to Nigeria? No, my first visit to Nigeria was when I was 16 years old and it was an exciting experience. I came with my mother. She had been in Nigeria twice and had a good time. We spent some time in Lagos, Ibadan and then my hometown, Igboora in Oyo State. What were your expectations about Nigeria the first time you came? I was actually excited about coming to see my dad because that was the first time I came to Nigeria to see him. . Were you keeping in touch all the while? Yes we were. He’d send me postcards for every birthday and we communicated via phone calls too. What does he do for a living? He’s a politician and former Chairman, Caretaker Committee, Ibarapa Central Local Government Area of Oyo State. What do you love most about him? He is very sociable. What picture of Nigeria did your mother paint before you came? She painted a beautiful picture of the country. What did you find shocking about Nigeria when you came? The policemen carried guns and when they stopped you on the road, the first thing you saw when they come to your window was the gun staring you in the face. Also, I discovered that Lagos has a lot of people and is so noisy. In Austria, the entire population is about eight million, but Lagos has well over that. But the interesting thing is that once you get used to it and go somewhere else that is not as crowded and is quiet, it becomes scary. What do you find interesting about Nigeria? Nigerians know how to have fun. There is always someone who cracks a joke even in situations that are frustrating. How did you cope with the food? It’s okay. The first time I came to Nigeria and ate stew with rice, it burnt my lips and mouth; the pepper was so hot. I enjoyed Mr Biggs burger made with chicken. But now, I enjoy amala the way my aunt in Igboora prepares it. How have you been able to cope with Nigerian languages? I’ve been trying to learn a bit of Yoruba language, but besides that, people are generally nice and patient when talking with me. Tell us about your educational background? I have two Masters degrees from Austria in Journalism and African Studies and I’m currently working on a Ph.D in History at the Oxford University, United Kingdom. My research is focusing on Nigeria’s early newspapers which is the reason for being here in Nigeria as a student of the University of Ibadan. What spurred your interest in journalism? I’m a very curious person and in journalism, you can satisfy that curiosity by writing about different aspects of life. How would you compare Nigeria’s educational system with that of Austria? They are completely different. I see more similarities in the system in the United Kingdom and Nigeria than in Austria. For instance, when I was a student in Austria, when one is through with high school, you go to the university for four years and obtain a Masters degree unlike in Nigerian where a Bachelors degree is obtained. But the system has changed now in Austria. Do you stay on campus? Yes. How will you describe life on campus? It’s very lively. Students have something going on and they study very hard. What parts of Nigeria have you visited so far? I haven’t gone beyond the South West for now, but I’ve been to some exciting places here in the South West like Ile Ife, Osogbo, Abeokuta and climbed the rocks. I have also visited Badagry and Nigeria-Benin border. How would you compare the men in Austria to those in Nigeria? When a Nigerian man has interest in you, he will pursue you more openly than an Austrian man. With an Austrian man, you’ll never know; they are very subtle. I think Nigerian men are more gentlemanly and romantic than their Austrian counterparts. They take good care of their women and always want to take them out and pay for the bills. But in Austria, when a man takes a woman out, she is expected to pay half the bill and sometimes all of it. Is your boyfriend a Nigerian or an Austrian? That’s too private. I will say no comment. Do you see yourself marrying a Nigerian man? I will marry for love not because of nationality. How did you spend the last Valentine’s Day? I had fun with friends. What do you do to keep fit? I want to start jogging but because the weather is very hot, I’ll have to do that very early in the morning. I’m working towards that. What would you miss about Nigeria when you return to Austria? My family. How many siblings do you have? I have two brothers. One is here in Ibadan while the other is based in South Africa. Which of the Nigerian attire do you like? I love the iro and buba though I’m still learning how to tie the iro(wrapper) and gele(headgear). Which outfit do you often dress in? That’s long skirt and light blouse. What do you do to enhance your looks? I have a bit of curly hair which I’m trying to keep natural. Do you make up? Very seldomly. Do you have a favourite colour? Not really. It depends on my mood. What about perfume? My favourite right now is Locittane with roses. Who is your favourite designer? I’m a student, how can I afford designer clothes? Readers Comments are welcomed

No comments: